Thank you for your reading. After 22 hours I posted my last
thread, over 10 thousand Huawei people have read it. There are over 20 thousand
after two days. Before I post this thread, one sixth Huawei person has read my
last thread. I didn't expect the welcome gift that I gave to Huawei would
inspire so many thoughts and discussions. I guess you (most of you are new
employees) all care about our company. At the same time, it indicates that your
work is easy and relaxing (ha ha), or else you will not have time to read my
post and make comments. I remember in my last job, we were always too busy to
take a look at the Moments of Wechat. Do not mention browsing the intranet.
China has BAT and Huawei to compete with Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple in America. As a wonderful business card of Chinese private enterprise, if Huawei wants to catch up with world-class enterprises, ambitions alone and no capabilities is not enough. We must first face the gap between world-class enterprises and us objectively and rationally. Then deeply analyze the differences, and find the bottleneck. At last, optimize and improve them one by one. We should have big objectives. But we should first set small goals. Only one small step everyday can make a big step in the future. We all know that.
The previous article, How Far is Huawei from Apple I was written after I joined Huawei and just finished my training. After observation and adaptation for more than twenty days, I have more understanding on Huawei.
For the differences between the enterprises in China and the world-class enterprises in America, I just scratch the surface in the previous article. In fact, my understanding on the differences is as follows:
1. The political and economic environment and the historical background are different. After all, the economic basis determines superstructure. The economic development level of China is far lower than that of America. Although Chinese always boast that their GDP ranks second in the world, it only means the volume is large, not the quality is high. China's total GDP is large while the per capita GDP is low.
2. The histories of the two countries are different. China had been under the feudal regime for more than two thousand years. We are used to the rule of man and tyranny. On the contrary, the history of America is less than three hundred years. Colonists occupied America by plunder. America is a democratic country that was built through wars and constitutional system. It followed and learned from European democratic and free politics. Americans are born with the culture of freedom, democracy and plunder. They do not know how to surrender.
3. The culture foundations are different. The management philosophies in eastern and western culture are totally different. The Confucianism of Confucius and the theory of the monarch and the subjects have a deep-rooted impact in China, while the Bible is taken as a spiritual guide in western countries. Therefore, people's qualities, pursuits and spiritual beliefs are also different.
As for Huawei and Apple, the differences are as follows:
1. First of all, the industries are different. Huawei is an up-and-comer that is rooted and prosperous in communication industry, while Apple is a veteran that takes a leading place in consumer electronic industry.
2. The founders are different. In fact, corporate cultures reflect the personal values of the founders. Mr. Ren was born in a poor family. He seized the opportunities and realized the value of life by his dedication. But Mr. Jobs was abandoned by his parents. He had been proving his existence for his whole life, to prove that his parents were wrong, and they shouldn't have abandoned him. It is enough to demonstrate the resentment in the heart of Jobs that he refused to forgive his father till his death. Of course, Jobs himself was a yuppie. He became a billionnaire when he was twenty–four or twenty–five. He was a typical "tall, rich and handsome" man. On one hand, he was a handsome gentleman with unique aesthetic and taste. On the other hand, he was a perfectionist. He was very picky about every thing, which made him difficult to get along with. Therefore, it is picky culture inside Apple. You will always feel the challenges and questions from your boss or your colleagues when working in Apple. Mr. Ren and Mr. Jobs are two kinds of people that are totally different, so that they created completely different enterprise cultures. The culture of wolf's spirit inside Huawei can perfectly rival the culture of challenges inside Apple.
All the differences above determine that the attitudes and methods of the enterprises on their employees must be different. China is different from America, and Chinese people are also different from Americans. The economy, culture, politics and citizen quality of China are totally different from these of America. Therefore, there are well defined eastern and western values and management cultures, and different social institutions, such as socialism and capitalism. One of the Chinese leaders, Deng Xiaoping always stressed that we should follow the road of economic development that adapts to the primary stage of socialism. As an enterprise that grows up with the development of Chinese economy, Huawei should follow the same road and adopt the enterprise management model that fits the socialist market economy system.
Through a short-term on-site observation, I find many magic weapons for Huawei's successes:
1. Powerful teams for united thinking and capabilities for cooperation.
2. A long-term incentive mechanism for excellent employees.
3. Powerful leader team and rotating mechanism.
4. United, progressive and harmonious team moral.
5. The capabilities of Huawei to develop new technologies are very strong. Huawei has core technologies and intellectual property rights researched and developed independently by itself, such as chips and cloud service. These are the main reasons for which Apple takes Huawei as the biggest competitor.
6. Strong coverage capability of global market.
7. Hire many talents from different industries. I believe people who come to Huawei must share the same dream. That is, to help Chinese national enterprises move from good to great. This is also the answer to the question that many onlookers asked in the last post. As a Chinese, I feel a sense of achievement if I can make a little contribution to the improvement of my own country. This is totally different from the sense of shame brought by working in a foreign enterprise and helping foreigners make money from our own people. I hope my simple dream and the very beginning mind will not be a pipe dream and vanish silently.
8. The IT customer service in Apple has an indian accent. Comparing to it, the IT helpline in Huawei is much better. I feel honored that Huawei defeats Apple thoroughly on this point.
During all this time, I have been observing the differences between Huawei and Apple in the management details within the enterprises:
1. The differences in HRs. In Apple, HR department has little sense of existence. Except for recruitment, you can hardly see them in your daily work. But the HR department in Huawei is very powerful. It is closely related to every department. I don't know whether there is statistics to show the percentage of HR people in Huawei. But I know that there are few HR people in Apple. The trainings within Apple are all organized by each department itself. It does not need HRs at all.
2. About trainings. I remember when I joined Apple, it only offered a half-day training. During the training, it told me the development history of Apple, why Apple is Apple, and the confidentiality and reimbursement regulations of the company. Then I got to my work the next day. There are even some employees that were on a business trip on their first day in Apple. They learn from their work directly. Later they will register on the internet to take the internal training course. The course is open to them all the time. The training of Huawei is preliminary, because it is designed for the newly employed graduates. The militarized training and the extremely excited brainwashing are ridiculous to me. After all, I'm already a veteran after working for more than twenty years. Besides, the trainings within the department told me many things about the detailed work of partner departments. The trainings are great, but they are involved in leakage. In Apple, all the things that are irrelevant to your own department are strictly kept as a secret. People only know the things that are related to his/her own work, and know nothing about other things. You can only learn things by yourself. It is impossible for you to get any commercial secrets in public. Huawei employees do not have strong awareness of confidentiality and sensitivity. Some colleagues even discuss the details and go-to-market time of products with the supplier, when the competitors are also there. If it happens in Apple, he/she will get a severe warning. If it is considered severe commercial secret leak, then the employee will be fired. Before getting to work, everyone in the project team should sign a project confidentiality agreement. If you do not sign it, it is possible to that you will be kicked out from the meeting room during a meeting.
3. About the punching in and out, overwork and workload. Nearly all the foreign enterprises that I have worked for do not need to punch in and out. Or they do not care about it. They all adopt flexible working system, including Apple. This is also a system helping to attract talents. Although we do not need to punch in and out, I have never seen any of my colleagues slack off. On the contrary, they are busier. They start their conference calls at eight o'clock every morning. And it is also a common thing that they still have meetings at eleven or twelve o'clock in the evening. It seems that they are at work around the clock. It is the diligence and endeavor of Apple that makes it keep strong competitiveness. In Apple, leaders and employees all work hard to get excellent performance. There are many people left Apple for Google or Facebook. Because they want an easier job, so that they can find a balance between work and life. Working in Apple is not relaxing at all. People there are smarter than you, and they work even harder than you. How can their performance not be better? As for working overtime, Apple even released a document to ask its employees not to work overtime and encourage them to take a vacation. If they take a vacation, then they can enjoy cash out. (That is to say, they enjoy the salary of annual vacation according to the days of their vacation.) Even if there are so many benefits, many people are still too busy to take a vacation. In addition, Apple offers three or four free trips to its employees. But few people enroll in. Because the people there are too busy. If there is some spare time, they would rather have a good rest or spend some time with their family. In terms of the culture of overtime work, Apple believes, "We pay for your work, not for the hours of your work." It is totally result-oriented. Do you remember something here? Good students will learn things actively even if you ask they to have a rest, while bad students only want to play even if you force them to learn. Chinese parents believe that spare the rod and spoil the child. But the parents in the western countries trust their children, encourage them and teach them to be responsible for their own future. I hope that the executives in Huawei can read this article and learn something.
5. About recruitment and people management. Apple recruits talents all over the world. It attracts and hires world-top talents in all areas to work for it. The Apple people that you have seen are all graduated from American top universities, which are the well-known Ivy League Universities. Most of them are majored in MBA and engineering. In China, Apple adopts the strategy of pragmatism. It poaches employees from all the giant companies directly, and then assigns tasks to them. This is different from Huawei. Huawei likes to cultivate employees by itself. American NBA teams take the same way with Apple. They convene the most excellent players to build a strongest team. Then they use the best mechanism to bring the group capability to a full play, so that it can exceed the sum of the capability of each player.
6. About the brand image, image positioning and brand strategy of Huawei. It is crucial to stay low-key in life and keep a high profile at work. Huawei needs many people like Yu Chengdoing to propagandize its advantages, technologies and uniqueness. In the current advertisements of Huawei, we have no idea what kind of brand images that it wants to build. Unlike Apple, its brand image is very clear–Extremely cool and fashionable. In fact, I think Huawei can use "keep climbing and surpassing" to represent its spirit. As for brand positioning, I cannot understand why Huawei likes to compare with Oppo and Vivo. Why not take Apple and Samsung as our real competitors, and make strategies focusing on them? In addition, I also cannot understand why there are so many product lines in Huawei. Allocating the limited resources to so many product lines greatly reduces the capability of in-depth mining and the negotiation capability of supply chains. Is it only to increase shipments and revenues? Who knows?
7. The organization architecture and operation processes are extremely complex. Take the following data for example. In 2016, Huawei (Terminal) VS. Apple:
Sales Revenue (USD): 78.5 billion (26.5 billion) VS 215.6 billion
Net Profit Rate: 7% VS 21%
CBG Product Line Categories: 40 + VS 10 +
CBG Channel Profit: 2*% VS Single Digit% (For confidentiality reasons, the data does not disclose. But if Huawei makes good use of its brand power, the channel profit can be transferred to the operating profit.)
Numbers of Employees: 180 thousand VS 80 thousand
Create Value Per Capita (USD): 440 thousand VS 2700 thousand (It is about 1:6, which closes to the exchange rate ratio. It is actually the comparison of economic strength between the two countries. I have foreseen this result in my previous article. It turns out to be true. If someday one yuan equals to one dollar, then the gap between Huawei and Apple will no longer exist. Today, Huawei and Apple separately represent the highest level of the high technology industry of China and America. What we see is that the value created by six Huawei people equals to the value created by one Apple person.)
Apple is a company with the highest market value in the world. Although it is a giant company, it still keeps the organization architecture as a small company. Its organization is flat. The company only has one business group and one CEO. Tim Cook takes full responsibility for the gains and loss of the company. This is also the important heritage left by Mr. Jobs. He liked to keep things simple, instead of complex. He tried his best to solve problems in the simplest way, without so many processes, reports and approvals. The key to the success in the consumer electronic industry is speed and time. Once things are gone, they are gone for good, especially customers and business opportunities. Take supply chain management department for example. I cannot believe that there are more than six thousand chief supply chain officers in Huawei. More than two thousand are only in the procurement qualification department. However, there are no more than one thousand people in total in Apple's global procurement department, including procurement, delivery, logistics, and so on. It looks like the proportion of 6:1. In fact, working smart is far more importance than working hard. I hope that can provide some enlightenment to the executives in Huawei.
8. About the product plan and future. Through the department training, I learned that the roadmap of Huawei telephone only extends to the following ten months, while the roadmap of Apple at least the following three years. The gap on technology between Huawei and Apple is definitely more than three to five years. Huawei will still act as a follower at least in the following three to five years. That can hardly change. There is still a long way for Huawei to become an industry leader. Because Apple never stops striving for better. In the last five years, the revenue of Apple increased to more than 200 billion from 100 billion. Of course, its profit margin has declined from 30% to 20%. In addition, the innovative, self-contained OS platform system is also an important weapon for Apple to stay competitive. But since Huawei's culture is "make it possible", let's wait and see the miracles.
9. About the target customers. Losers want to make money from tall, rich and handsome men and fair-skinned, rich and beautiful women. But what losers see and hear is from the losers' world and moments. So are what they eat, wear, use and think. If they want to success, then they have to use surprisingly strange ways. Maybe it's technology or business model. This is a problem that is worth thinking. Welcome to brainstorm.
At last, I want to say something. Since our company hires us with salaries, we should not make it think that hiring us is a wrong decision. The company gives us the talk rights, but the decision maker is still the company. We should speak out. As for whether to change, our wise and farsighted top-level executives will make decisions. After all, they built the company, and they are responsible for the present and the future of the company. With regard to transformation, the society is always moving forward. It's only a question of time. It encountered so many resistance and obstacles when asking Chinese men to cut off their braid and Chinese women not to bind their foot. But after the Revolution of 1911, all of the old power and the old phenomenon like these were all gone. As the Sun Tzu says, "We can deduce success, but we cannot control it. People who are good at defense can make full use of all kinds of vantage ground to hide their troops; and people who are good at attack can adjust their operation plans according to the weather changes, and then attack the enemies. In a word, they can win complete victory while saving themselves. " As long as Huawei keeps its open and progressive spirit and continuous innovation, works hard, builds and strengthens the confidence and unruffled attitude as a large enterprise, I believe many unsuitable management details will be improved gradually. Huawei will keep pace with the times, and finally get closer to Apple.
Since "the devil hides in the details", I will focus more on the details of the specific managements as I get a better understanding of Huawei. Coming soon, How Far Is Huawei from Apple Ⅲ—Working at Huawei
Apple Huawei 200w for two years.
Maybe it is because family;
Is probably an attempt to do a lot of heaven and earth.
It is also possible that come in here and find shit in the wrong hole.
For Change from great to excellent!
Thread owner into fake Apple, I into fake Huawei, identify. Over.
Do you think terminal 180 thousand people? Look at the figures, OK? still2005
Terminal 15 thousand people
I heard Honor only has a few hundred men.
A bunch of fancy
18 Wan Ren isCBG+CNBG+EBG All right.
Similarly, supply chain, authentication officer, as well as the total number of
On the one hand, Huawei should and Samsung than, on the one hand and the hate Huawei jihai tactics, Samsung is why didn't machine the sea said blanket
...... above aside, or ought to be thinking about, why the same larger companies, Apple can use relatively open mode, whereas Huawei to set up hierarchical system, what mootpoint whether. And then if Apple's marketing department is so flexible, how to controlBCG Where's the risk?LZ You can more about.
Update on the latest data, Apple as of today's global6.5 150,000 employees
@ Jan Now This6.5Million including retail store, huh?
@ Jan Now However, Huawei and Carrier BG's and Enterprise BG. And from Apple on some extent monopoly Oh, actually.
To answer your question: 1, Apple is flat organization structure, quality management by the quality department, does not belong to the supply chain management and procurement management range, but very closely involved. 2, not in a position to answer that, I have never been in the RD department.
Thread owner this algorithm is not quite right now and posts are displayed based on the number of clicks, not click number, with the WeChat public number article calculated using different. A post Clicks1 Wan doesn't mean...1 Wan Ge could read, there are some points in the house for five times, ten times her latest reply. But overall, over a million hits or said, this has been a hot post.
Thank you very much for your love, send the foregoing22 In 20 hours, browsing Huaweier had over a million, two days after 20,000, before sending this document have 1/6 Huaweier browsing biwen.
That's a very interesting reading.
Chinese people's wisdom is not opened, so this is still a monarchy more appropriate?
@IT The company ploughmen This is now a republic is pretty awesome. China is now with Huawei previously made which was as high-speed development, will certainly Sharples combat learn, inevitable meeting to a bad bunch of actually capability of the live wire promotion officer. Huawei is just a company and was soon to stable stage, but China is so big countries, it's still early yet.
When does a kid with his parents on the same college, two generations, in essence, is not much difference, that is similar with the United States.
Yes, I agree.
That's when Huawei leaders are all eat rice of the good things, some others may not be applicable to himself, genes are different. And does not necessarily have a willingness to “ (or Necessary) ” to learn.
The work of genetic modification, not happen overnight.
From outside I see Apple as a very innovative and self confident company. The facts are:
They launch the first smartphone. Before the iPhone, telcos had bought spectrum at huge cost and did not know how to use it!
They have a completely closed system, that I hate, but many people disagree with me...
Their products look like jewels more than phones.
They are continuously rising the price bar, now touching $1000 for a phone, amazing...
My guess is that people in Apple work smarter than harder, they are following no one, they set the market, telcos, competitors and users follow them.
Great article, there are many good points here. However I would add one important point.
In every company, there are some critical talented staff. The number of these people is important for the success of the company. Once you have these talents, it is equally important to provide them a good ecosystem to operate effectively. More over the company should continue to attract new talents.
Apple has a big advantage on branding. its brand attracts many talents. The individuals as well as suppliers or solution providers all would like to write Apple in their portfolio. Giving the all responsibility to HR would be unfair, as marketing department is leading this but everyone of us is responsible of the brand name. Huawei has a great communication guide published on ilearning, I haven't come across any employee describing Huawei effectively described in the communication guide. The branding starts right from us. We should embrace it.
Anyhow, Huawei is not far from Apple in this respect. At least it is on the good direction. Brand name is the most important product of Huawei. And it should treated as such.
I'm so surprised someone from HW translated my article to English version, share my thoughts and ideas in worldwide. It's great to have such open mind!
yes they like you. Keep writing, your points are valuable.
Apple has strong competitiveness, but also related with his diligence and enterprising. From top to bottom of the leaders and employees all spelled a life in rush, many people are going to leave job-hopping to it.Google OrFacebook , is to seek work-life balance work can be more relaxed a little bit, Apple is not comfortable day too.
I smiled for three full minutes. Apple in ChinasalesLove for club may and brags you made me do roughly the same degree, a night 34 personal floral shilaiwan is commonplace, of course, agent buying. Every year listed, some people can goods distribution of new financial freedom, and the management of confusion is self-evident. Apple staff quality requirements. The surface looks very high, but actually full-on relationship, a lot.MOTO、NOKIA Hardened inside all mixed pretty happy, if you want me to tell you why? Apple channel management in the China Region is China mobile phone all-pervading ten years level one of the worst manufacturers, not people are incapable, is not a can harvest, why so hard.
Said these are not intended to overrule Apple, Apple still great company. But certainly not as perfect as you described.
My friend, or you just don't understand your former company or is acting. But I'd say you are more inclined to the second, and the additional part first. Acting too hard, too absorbed, information asymmetry sometime play and it'll be fine. Don't forget a lot of people might know more than you, high light hit ass still cann't help it.
Apple's sales company and biangou operation are two completely separate business units. Sell is going to be Apple's discourse right to the weakest department right, exactly the opposite. with Huawei One is the product-oriented, a market-oriented.
@ Jan Now So? You call a perfect Apple does not cover the sales team isn't it? That's what you said. From top to bottom steps spelled a life rushing at just refer to apple procurement system isn't it?
Mind you don't use the information asymmetry to raise his worth. The value of a company, you through his own efforts can influence things towards better place shift, rather than operate from a strategically advantageous position described a perfect is like. You to Huawei optimization, what are the processes? What is the output? -Tell me more about this, has a high degree of don't need you.
@ Finally a cigarette. You're that by the netizen nicknamed for spraying so and so?
Already you only left personal attack this a trick?